In the spring of 1915, Knoxville Motor Company was incorporated as a franchise dealer for Jefferies automobiles. The business was located in a field at the north end of Gay Street in downtown Knoxville. Two years later, Charles W. Nash resigned as President of General Motors and purchase the Jeffries factory, renaming the car “Nash.” Knoxville Motor Company remained a Nash dealer through the World Wars and the “Great Depression” and became an American Motors Dealer in 1955 with the merger of Nash and Hudson.
The Mercedes-Benz franchise was added in 1962, and Knoxville Motor Company remained a dual point dealership until the American Motors franchise was sold in 1970. As an exclusive Mercedes-Benz dealer, Knoxville Motor Company was moved to 4835 Kingston Pike, and the Saab franchise was added in 1974.
In January 1981, an ownership management change took place while the location of the dealership remained the same. In 1983, the Saab franchise was sold and Knoxville Motor Company was once again an exclusive Mercedes-Benz dealership.
In September 1997 Knoxville Motor Company was moved to it’s present location at 10131 Parkside Drive. The name Knoxville Motor Company was changed to Mercedes-Benz of Knoxville in 1999 as part of Mercedes-Benz North America’s quest to unify names of franchise dealers.
Land Rover Knoxville was opened as part of the automotive group at 10215 Parkside Drive in October 1997 making our dealerships the first of many automotive dealerships to open along the new Parkside Drive.